History of the Grove
The Grove is Fitzwilliam’s central feature. Built in 1813 its architecture contrasts harmoniously with the more modern buildings surrounding it. Originally the home of the architect who built it, it was later the home of Charles Darwin’s widow Emma, who was born into the prestigious porcelain manufacturing family Wedgewood. Later it became the home of the Armstrong family. Their crest can be seen along side the Fitz shield in the lobby, the stair hall of which includes original William Morris wallpaper. Other rooms house the SCR, the Master’s dining room and various college offices.
We are privileged to have three rooms in The Grove. On entering the foyer a brass plaque on the left will lead you into the MCR lobby, on the walls of which are displayed the group photographs of decade upon decade of Fitzwilliam graduates. The lobby door opens up into the front parlour or reading room, which is a more formal seating area where we provide a selection of newspapers. Adjacent is the informal back parlour, consisting of a comfortable seating area, TV, DVD player, music centre and a cupboard housing sports equipment, including football, frisbee and squash racquets. French windows lead out onto our south-facing terrace where we have a BBQ. The central feature of the terrace is the Narnia-lamp and on sunny days the MCR deck chairs allow a little relaxation here. There is also a small kitchen which stocks tea and has a Nespresso machine, capsules for which are readily stocked by the MCR committee.